Wednesday, January 14, 2009

No Food in the House

Basically this is my week and a half mark and I am doing very well. Except for the fact that I am running out of foods to pack for my mega lunch. Every morning I generally pack up about 5 or 6 items to eat throughout the day. Depending on how long my day is going to run, this may also include my dinner. For example, today is a day where I will pack my dinner because I have teaching until 5:15 and then I go to the gym and I won't be home til about 6:30 or 7pm, which is late and if I wait to eat, I may be tempted to stop at a fast food restaurant on the way home. My house is starting to get harder and harder to pull healthy foods from. So for breakfast, I am eating things like 1 chicken wing? It's quite humorous actually.

Yesterday's Subsistence

Breakfast - 2 boiled eggs
Snack 1 - yogurt
Lunch - a half sandwich with cajun turkey, pepper jack cheese and American cheese with mustard with apple juice
Snack 2 - yogurt / Craisins
Dinner - Juice Plus
Snack 3 (OPTIONAL IF AFTER 7PM) - nothing

The plan is to do some serious grocery shopping over the weekend in my efforts to make this lifestyle change more effective and to consume a healthier amount of calories per day without eating dangerous foods like fried chicken wings for breakfast. Here is what Dr. Ian from the 50 Million Pound challenge says that I will need for a 7 day meal plan:

Cold cereal (Avoid cereals with lots of sugar. Try corn flakes, Cheerios, bran flakes, puffed wheat, puffed rice, shredded wheat, etc.)

Oatmeal

Eggs

Turkey bacon or ham

Low-fat milk

Low-fat yogurt (6 oz servings)

Fruit smoothies or whey protein shakes (such as Juice Plus)

Fresh fruit (Bananas, cantaloupe, etc. Berries to mix into yogurt and add to cereal. One serving of fruit should be the size of your fist.)

Vegetables (Celery, carrots, beans, lentils, chickpeas, corn, broccoli, etc. Consider vegetables for sides, snacks and ingredients. Avoid baked beans.)

Salad Ingredients (Lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.)

Low-fat salad dressing

Brown rice

Wheat, whole grain or multi-grain bread

Turkey, chicken and ham sandwich meat

Mayonnaise

Soy patties or veggie burger

Potato chips or pretzels

Lean steak, fish, chicken (5 oz servings)

Whole wheat pasta

Tomato sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing with me as I take this journey.