Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Dreaded Menstrual Cycle

Just to prove that I am not making this up ...

Department of Psychology, University of Leeds, UK.

Hormonal fluctuations associated with the menstrual cycle influence appetite control and eating behaviour. Energy intake varies during the reproductive cycle in humans and animals, with a periovulatory nadir and a luteal phase peak. Patterns of macronutrient selection show less consistency but a number of studies report carbohydrate cravings in the premenstrual phase, particularly in women with premenstrual syndrome. The cyclical nature of food cravings are frequently, but not invariably, associated with depression. Fluctuations in appetite, cravings and energy intake during the menstrual cycle may occur in parallel with cyclical rhythms in serotonin, which can be accompanied by affective symptoms. The premenstrual phase can be considered as a time when women are especially vulnerable to overconsumption, food craving and depression; this is often associated with low serotonin activity.

The plain English of the matter is that if my mood drops while I am on my period, I will eat like a pig and gain weight like crazy!! So once a month for approximately 7 days or so, I will self-sabotage my diet! This is horrible. No wonder men have an easier time with weight loss than women. With this disclaimer out there, this weekend was ROUGH!! In addition to the lack of healthy food choices at my boyfriend's house.

Yesterday's Subsistence


Breakfast - corn flakes cereal, one pack of splenda, banana
Snack 1 - yogurt
Lunch - Juice Plus
Snack 2 - nothing
Dinner - one and a half slice of seafood pizza, 5 fried chicken wing dings
Snack 3 (OPTIONAL IF AFTER 7PM) - it was at 11pm!! and it was a chicken leg ... CRAZY

"Just Keep Swimming"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing with me as I take this journey.